Polylang is an awesome WordPress multilingual plugin. The good news is that it offers a free version that meets most of the needs of multilingual sites. Please note that there isn’t the page duplication function for the free version. To learn how to config Multi-language by Polylang plugin for your WordPress website, please read this tutorials.
Install Polylang plugin
- Go to Plugins > Add New
- Enter Polylang to search it
- Click Install Now
- Activate the Polylang
After activating the Polylang plugin, It automatically enters the setup wizard.
- Add the languages(2 or more), click Continue
- Activate “Allow Polylang translate media”, click Continue
- Select a language for the current content(post, page, etc), Set the homepage, click Continue
You will translate the pages, please go to Pages(Posts/Portfolio), click “+” for the page what needs to be translated. Then a new page will be duplicated, you can edit the cloned page.
The free version Polylang does not support the page duplication for the WordPress default block editor(only get the feature on the pro version). You need to manually add the content again. But it will duplicate the content of the BM Content builder. You could edit the duplicated content.
You could check the official documentation.
There are 2 kinds of strings:
1. Dynamic strings set in Theme Options(Theme Options > General Settings: Descriptions).
Please go to Languages > Strings translations, translate the strings(copyright, social name, etc). Refer to the video tutorials:
2. The strings(like in the 404 page) hardcoded in PHP files are not handled by the Strings translations list table. These strings are stored in .po/.mo files. It automatically supports the default .po/.mo of French, German, Spanish, Dutch, Japanese, and Chinese. You could add other languages(or edit the existed .po/.mo files). Please use the Loco Translate plugin(read more).
To show the Language switcher, please go to Appearance > Menu, please activate the Language switcher option panel:
The Language switcher will be shown, please add it to the menu: